Wednesday, February 18

Audiology

Having a "speech impaired" kid gives you the opportunity to do great things like IEP meetings and Audiology testing.
I'd like to prefaces this with... it was not my best personal day. Woke up kinda on the downer side of things. Trying hard not to let it affect my day, but it totally did.

We get there and the door is locked. That's how they screen people with appointments coming in the door. Then, rather than allowing us to start the testing they discuss rather loudly what to do with donated hearing aids. Why they didn't hand the matter over to the other 3 people working there, i don't know.
So he goes in with Dad for the hearing test. Carter loved it. The Ladies loved Carter. He preformed like a champ... no shock there.
Here's where the bad personal day comes in: One of the Ladies sits us down to discuss the results of the test. Here's how i would have liked it to go down:
"He's a little conjested today from an apparent cold. One of his ears is plugged. Bring him back in a month and we'll try again." -- Ideal, right? 2 minutes max if she showed us the charts. but no...
It took her 37 minutes to tell me about every detail of his congestion, how to fix it, possible reasons for it, her experiences with a previous employer who just happened to be an ENT doctor, ..blah blah blah etc. I was annoyed. I'm not gonna lie. What i didn't know was how much it showed on my face.
We got in the car [GULP] and Trev turns to me... "What was your problem?! Why were you so annoyed with her? It was really embarrasing."
Oh man. i must be loosing my touch. I told him she probably didn't even notice she was too busy talking into oblivion. But he was pretty sure she did. Apparently they had a few meaningful moments at my expense. Oh brother .. and i have to see her again in a few weeks. Hopefully she doesn't remember my bad day, and hopefully the next time i go i have a good day. Ooo.. maybe i should come with a mask, just in case.

1 comment:

Aubrey said...

Oh man, do I know those days! I am sorry you were having such a bad day. I am sure she will not remember you, unless you were just that terrible to her, but very unlikely.