To make this quilt really isn't as hard as one would think. Mine is really a duvet cover. I used an existing comforter as the middle... but you could use quilting batter to make it lighter. You'll need 1 King size jersey knit sheets, 1 queen size Jersey knit sheets, 2 old queen size sheets , some grey thread and cording. We cut the queen size sheet into squares ( i think the size is like 12 3/4" X 12 1/4"). The Jersey knit ones we cut quite a bit bigger so we could do the rosette (21" X 22" ).
First we sewed the jersey knit squares with a gathering foot and a basting stitch so they would be the same size as the old sheet squares. Next, find the middle of the old sheet squares and the jersey knit so you can safety pin the middles and ends together. Sew the two together with wrong sides together. You have a completed square.. now make 48 more. Seriously. You need 49.
After the squares are created you have to sew the rosette. This part is easy, but super tedious. You need 9" of cording per square. Since the middles have been safety pinned you keep the safety pin in place and just grab as much jersey as possible and then tie the cord around it a few times to secure it. Make it look pretty, then hand stitch the rosette to the old queen sheet on the back . Tuck the ends while you're stiching. Done. Now do it 48 more times.
Once that's done you can sew all the squares to each other. 7 rows of 7 squares.
Now go back and sew them again. This time a row of stitches on either side of the each seam. That's how you get the sweet texture of each square (and i think my favorite part of the whole look).
Attach the bottom piece. (Right sides together leaving an open end. Then flip it inside out). Once you flip it back to the right side you'll have to go back and sew the seams all the way around ( to get that piping look). Insert the batter or duvet, close the open end. Hand stitch it closed and then sew around the outer edge to make the rest of the hem.
You don't have to, but i then "quilted" each rosette to the back of the quilt so that it wouldn't move. But Anthro didn't.
Done!
11 comments:
I think my favorite part was 'now do it 48 more times'. I love this. I want to make a pink one for my daughter's room.
Wow, just reading about making that quilt made me tired. I do not think I have the patience to quilt, maybe when my kids are all grown, I'll figure out how to make quilts for my grandchildren. :)
Ok.....so cute! One problem...I have too many kids and not enough time. Solution... I pay you to make it for me:)
That is awesome!
That grey quilt is BEYOND awesome. Love it and the whole bed ensemble. And c'mon, his legs looked a little sharp. :)
Wowza! I'm speechless! That looks so great! (okay. maybe I was able to a mutter out a sentence after all)
so cool, I absolutely love it! So...how much do you charge?
Meesa, you constantly amaze me. Such a domestic goddess you've become!
thank you so much Meesa! I'm excited to try and make one for myself. LOVE it!
I am a little late, but this is so cool!
I am in the process of making this and I've seen a couple of other tutorials for this bedding but they just didn't look the exact same as the bedding from anthro. Me being such a perfectionist, that bugged me. That being said, your tutorial is absolutely PERFECT down to the gathering! Thank you:)
Post a Comment