Sunday, March 2

Epiphany

About the time that Trev makes it home from school, most days i'm annoyed, exasperated, and frazzled all at the same time. But Trev comes in all chipper and excited to see the kids: they in turn are chipper and excited to see him. That only annoys me more. How can this be? Only seconds before they were badgering and whining and on the verge of meltdowns. I've often wondered, what is it about "dads" that brings out the good side of kids? (well, our kids)

Does it just mean that i'm an onery mother and my kids are equally exasperated with me, so to see dad is a sweet release from my wrath? No, i'm not that mean... right? Ok ok... so i'm a little hard on them, but it builds character, right? Lessons need to be learned and i just happen to have the time to teach them. Could it be that my role as home teacher is what slowly drives my kids to the breaking point?

Saturday was an eye opening experience. I had the opportunity to help a friend decorate for a wedding. I was gone, literally, all day. Leaving at 8am and returning at 6pm only to leave again by 6:30 and not returning til way after bed time. I had, roughly, 30 minutes to say hi to the kids, get dressed, and make it back for the reception. In those 30 minutes i've never seen my kids so excited to have me home! They were chipper and excited, just like they are with Trev! No badgering or whining, only stories of what they did that day with dad. I was nothing but smiles. I truly felt the joy of having kids.

So here's my epiphany: I need to get out more.

2 comments:

ShelBailey said...

Wow, you should come see us for a week. Just think how excited they'd be!!!

Hmm, on the other hand, if you don't bring them, you're in big trouble. Sam misses him some Carter. :0)

Love you guys.

cambersue said...

Amen sista!
How does wednesday at 7:00 sound?!